Aberdeenshire UNISON

UNISON Welfare Information Sheet
Advice for UNISON members affected by flooding

Last updated 15.01.2016

Click here for information leaflet

In the wake of recent widespread flooding in Aberdeenshire, There for You (UNISON Welfare) has updated the following information for members and to assist branch officers who are advising them.

If you are a member who has been affected by or is worried about flooding please read the information below to see how UNISON can help and get in touch with the branch on 01224 620624 if you need further advice or support.

Insurance advice

  • Members should ring their insurance company as
    soon as possible. Many have emergency help lines
    to arrange for restoration and/or repairs to be carried
    out as quickly as possible. They will usually send a
    loss adjuster to look at the property and confirm what
    repairs and replacements are needed and covered.

  • If in rented property, contact the landlord and
    contents insurance company as soon as possible.

  • Temporary emergency repairs at a reasonable cost
    should be paid by the insurers but make sure you
    keep all your receipts and take photographs (before
    and after the repairs are carried out)

  • Most household policies will cover reasonable cost
    of alternative accommodation, up to stated limits,
    if the property is uninhabitable. Most will also pay
    an inconvenience allowance if you are staying with
    families or friends (instead of a hotel) so ask them
    about this.

  • You should always try to salvage your belongings
    but without putting yourself at personal risk.

  • In these special circumstances many insurance
    companies will be prepared to offer an interim
    payment to cover the cost of clothes etc.

  • Insurers can usually help with the cleaning up and
    drying out of homes.


What UNISON Welfare can do?
We can give advice and/or may be able to give assistance to members struggling financially subject to certain criteria. For example:

• Help towards the cost of replacing household items
where there is no contents insurance and essential
items have been lost or severely damaged.

• Help to purchase clothing that has been destroyed.

• Emergency help whilst initial assessment of situation

If you need more information or help to apply for assistance, contact the UNISON Resource Centre tel: 01224 620624.

How to apply for financial support

Applications can be made by downloading the form
from the website www.unison.org.uk/thereforyou, or
send an email request to thereforyou@unison.co.uk
If you are unsure about whether an application is
appropriate and want to discuss your situation then
call us on 020 7121 5620 or email.

Applications should normally be forwarded through
the UNISON Branch or a referring agency such as the
Citizen’s Advice Bureau for example.

You should also visit your local authority website as
they will have details of other financial support that
may be available.

• Fully comprehensive motor policies will cover flood
• Take photographs of all damage as this will be useful
when submitting your claim
• Ask your insurer if they will help pay for repairs that
reduce potential flood damage and therefore reduce
costs if it happens again.
• Keep a record of all contact with your insurance
company and refer to their websites for more
specific information concerning what to do in these


Information for policy holders with insurance
through UNISON affinity groups:

UIA: Phone lines are staffed 24 hours a day 365
days a year and members should call 01438 518 855.
In times of crisis/surge, calls are ‘sifted’ to separate
members in urgent need from those of a lower priority.
In response to serious weather warnings flood victims
are immediately referred to the loss adjustors who are
similarly geared up to cope.

LV= Frizzell will do everything it can to help you as
quickly as is practically possible, should you or your
home suffer the affects of flooding. Where possible, we’ll
try and contact you if you are in a known affected flood
area however, should you need to make a claim, please
contact us as soon as you can on 0800 032 2844 for
Home and 0800 032 2577 for Motor, lines are open
24 hours a day, 365 days a year.


Useful website

  • www.sepa.org.uk The Scottish Environment Protection
    Agency is the flood warning authority in Scotland.
    Contact Floodline to hear live flood warning messages
    for your local area, sign up to receive flood warning
    messages direct to your phone, or speak to an operator
    to receive further advice and information or report
    flooding in an emergency
    Floodline – 0845 988 1188 or 0345 988 1188
    Get 24 hour flood warnings by phone, text or email